11 Crazy Good Lip Colors We Saw at NYFW
Assistant Digital Producer
Going backstage at New York Fashion Week is never boring. Even the simplest beauty looks are created with such technique and precision, it kind of blows your mind. But for a beauty writer, it's always a little bit more interesting when there's some nail art, intricate braids or playful makeup colors to check out.
This season, the looks that got me most excited were those that featured bold lip colors. Bright orange was the week's biggest trend, but there were plenty of '90s-inspired reds and vivid purples, too.
Don't panic—pulling off a statement lip is easier than it may seem. Here are a few tips I picked up backstage:
- Complement a warm lip color with a cool shade on the eyes.
- Orange lipstick goes best with an otherwise bare face. Add a touch of blush to add to the warmth of the look.
- A dark red lip color looks less grungey and more sophisticated if you keep the rest of the face clean.
- Define and contour lips when wearing a super-bright lip color with a lip pencil in a slightly darker shade.
- Keep a deep purple lipstick from looking too tough by keeping your outfit feminine.
- Tone down the glam factor of a red lip with a metallic eye in a dark neutral hue, like bronze.
Now that you're ready to go for it, click through above for some serious lip-spiration.