What to Wear to a...Hoedown?
Dress code: "Jeans and boots invited."
Since I don’t live in Smithville, Texas, like Sandra Bullock’s character in Hope Floats, I generally don’t encounter many hoedowns. Here in NYC, summer is more about rooftop happy hours, Hamptons barbecues and the occasional beachside clambake. But as it so happens, I was recently invited to a hoedown—a wedding rehearsal dinner hoedown in Aspen, Colorado complete with haystacks, a honky tonk band, live cows, really delicious pigs in a blanket and a “jeans and boots invited” dress code. Meaning, I had absolutely no idea what to wear. Denim on denim? Plaid on denim? Suede on…denim?
Ultimately, I settled on a paisley-printed tiered mini skirt, a white button-down shirt and black wedges (cowboy hat provided by my gracious hosts)—an outfit theme-y, but (hopefully) not costume-y and casual, but (hopefully) put-together enough for pictures and the inevitable onslaught of Instagram-ing. Plus, my look was very line dance friendly, and not so countrified that I wouldn’t wear it again to, say, a New York happy hour or beach clambake—minus the hat, of course.
More on Luckymag.com:
- Five Lucky Editors Show You How to Punch Up Your Office Neutrals
- 29 Decidedly Non-Boho Maxi Dresses
- WATCH: Why Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele Loves Juicy Couture Tracksuits
- Seven Easy Tips for Conquering High Waisted Jeans
- EXCLUSIVE: Partyskirts' Doodle-riffic Lookbook Proves That Superheroes Wear Skirts, Too
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine